Sunday, February 3, 2008

Mass Audubon Sanctuaries

Thanks to everyone for their helpful tips and information about National vs. Regional Audubon memberships. My plan is to wait and see what comes with my national membership and then probably get a dual membership for my boyfriend and me. That would be $58 for two vs. $44 for one. Thanks to Bennet for the tip about seasonal promotions. He and his wife paid just $25 for the two of them! I'll see how long I can hold out, but I may just bite the bullet and pay the $58 so we can gain access to some of the most desireable sanctuaries.

Bennet also shared his goal of visiting all of the
Massachusetts Audubon sanctuaries (45). What great motivation to get out there and bird! The Mass Audubon Website has an interactive map that links to the individual sanctuaries:

Bennet also posed the question of which Mass sanctuaries I would recommend. After reviewing this map I realized I've only been to 3! Drumlin Farm in Lincoln, Blue Hills in Canton, and Ashumet Holly in East Falmouth. Of the 3, Drumlin Farm I've been to the most since it's so close to where I live now. Although I've never has access to the learning center I've had some great walks throughout the grounds and there's always been plenty of diverse birds there thanks to the nesting initiatives they have set up. The Blue Hills sanctuary constitutes the learning center I think, where they have some birds in cages (owls, hawks etc.), and Ashumet Holly I've only been to once and not to bird or check out the wildlife. I was there at night for a seminar for a Cape Cod Times story I was writing about renewable energy sources so I didn't have a chance to explore.

This map is great because it helps put things in perspective and will certainly help me choose my next birding destination.


2 comments:

Bennet said...

I tried to figure out how to get that map for some time, thanks for showing me how it's done! And thanks for the tips on the sanctuaries; we live in Falmouth, but I want to save Ashumet Holly for a time when we don't want to go too far. Of course, the whole point is to support the sanctuaries, so I spose I could go as frequently as I want.

Judging from Mass Audubon's page, Stony Brook looks like a good winter birding spot. The only one I've been to is Skunknett River: it was very beautiful, but I went on a day when it was in the 20s, if that, so I'm excited to go there when it warms up and maybe see some spring birds. I've also got to get off my ass and post about it already. Thanks for the link!

Larry said...

That's a useful tool. I visited a Mass wildlife management area this winter but didn't have much luck.I plaan on more ventures in to Mass in the future.