Skip to main content

Great Blue Heron

It's been over a month since my last post but it's been such a busy summer I've had trouble finding time to sit down to work on my blog. I also haven't been outside birding at all, but I have had some great sightings in my parents' yard in Monument Beach and out and about in Watertown.

Just last weekend I was driving down to the Cape and I had two Great Blue Heron sightings. One was while I was driving- it was right after I had gotten onto Rte. 24 from I-93 at that point I believe. I never noticed that the road passes by a little pond/marshy area and that's where he was taking off from as he flew over the highway. I forget how huge they are!

Then I saw another one as I was leaving to head back up to Boston. I forget exactly where it was but it was somewhere in Bourne and again, it was in flight crossing over the road.

I decided to read about them in Wikipedia since it's my new favorite thing. I didn't find anything too interesting, but I did learn that there's a Great Blue Heron Music Festival. It's already passed but it sounds like a good time, and this year it featured a Cape band, Entrain. Correction: apparently they're from Martha's Vineyard.

Comments

Larry said…
You're still posting!-I thought that you quit-Great Blue Heron Music festival-that's a new one!
Birdfreak.com said…
Great Blue Herons are so fun to watch. Glad you are still seeing some birds around. I like Wikipedia, but professors don't let any of their students use it! It's a great place to find base information.
Cathleen Voss said…
Hi Larry,

I'm still around! It's been a busy summer but I'm trying to get better about posting. I promise for the next post I'll get out in the field with my camera so I'll have something interesting to show.

Yes- the Great Blue Heron Festival was a surprise to me too. I'm sure it's a great time though. And I remembered where I saw the second bird- it was in East Sandwich as I went by the marsh.
Cathleen Voss said…
Birdfreak- I'm glad you enjoy watching them too. They're truly stunning. Sorry to hear that about Wikipedia, but at least you can use it for personal reference. I love learning about anything and everything on there. It's easy to get lost in there. I checked out your site- I like the conservation tips. I hope you don't mind if I link to it on my blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Difference Between Grackles and Starlings

I saw a sad sight today during my lunchtime jog—a dead grackle. Or was it a starling? I'll get to that in a minute. I was making my way down to the trail along the Charles River when I saw what I thought was an injured bird in the middle of the road. It was just sitting there and I figured it was just stunned or maybe had an injured wing. The bird probably didn't have much of a chance, but the least I could move it out of the road. As I got closer to the bird I saw it had its mouth open and then I realized the gruesome truth—it was dead and was frozen in that position. I just got shivers thinking about it. The poor thing. Anyway, so it got me to thinking 'What is the difference between grackles and starlings?' I use the two interchangeably and haven't really made an effort to sort it out. Until now. I like to use All About Birds from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology as an online resource. The site is comprehensive and easy to use. (I also really like the 'Cool ...

Using Birds to Control Tomato Hornworms

Here's a lovely macro shot of a tomato hornworm caterpillar taking a little break from gorging himself on my tomatoes. Ever seen one before? They're huge and pretty startling to come across when you're pruning your tomato plants. They blend right in, until you accidentally touch one- hopefully not with the horned end! This picture was taken near the end of the season so I wasn't SO upset, but I definitely want to prevent hornworms for next season. I started doing some research on how to get rid of tomato hornworms and the good news is you don't need to use insecticides or crazy home remedies- birds will do the work for you! This great website I found- the Yardener has a whole section about insect pests in the vegetable garden. According to the site, feeding birds year-round will help you control the tomato hornworm problem in your garden. For bird lovers, this shouldn't be a chore at all. Just keep your feeders full with desirable seed like black-oil sunflower s...

Large-billed Crow pictures from Japan

These large-billed crow pictures come courtesy of my work colleague Phil who lives in Japan. He told me he had some great Japanese crow pictures, and the first thing I noticed about the bird was the large bill. I started doing some research to come up with the correct crow name. First I thought it was a carrion crow since those are a common type of Japanese crow, but the bill wasn't big enough. Then I found pictures of the large-billed crow and those were a match! Duh- "large bill"- it couldn't have been any simpler. These crows are also called jungle crows, but most of the birding sites call them large-billed crows. Phil said they can get really big, which I believe since American crows are huge sometimes. I have vivid memories of standing my in my parents Cape Cod kitchen doing dishes and getting spooked by something huge in my periphery on the deck. All it ever was was a giant crow, but really they can be scary when they get so big! Here are some interesting thing...