Skip to main content

Shearwater Identification

I'm excited to post pictures Steve brought back from his recent offshore trip to Georges Bank.

I'm having a lot of trouble identifying one of the seabirds though. I have zero experience with Shearwaters (or any pelagics for that matter), but Manx Shearwaters are a common sighting off Revere Beach right now so Shearwaters are at the forefront of my mind.
Looking at my guidebooks and pictures online Audubon's Shearwater looks like a close match. *UPDATE: Thanks to Steve from Shooting My Universe for the tip that this is likely a Manx. He lives in Gloucester and I consider him an expert on sea birds. Thanks Steve!

I also could be completely off- these might not be Shearwaters at all. Any ideas?


Thanks!

Comments

Dawn Fine said…
I have never seen a shearwater..so i cant help out. what a great trip he had..have you ever gone?
Anonymous said…
If someone put a gun to my head, I'd say Manx, based on the length to wingspand ratio, the under wing coloration and the pattern about the face and neck. Definately a "shoot first and ask questions later" bird.
Cathleen Voss said…
@Dawn- No, I can't go with him off-shore, but I might see if I can go out on a lobster trip sometime. He's offered that before- I think that would be fun.

@Steve- Thanks for your insight! I had a feeling you would be helpful on this since you're so familiar with seabirds.

Popular posts from this blog

Difference Between Grackles and Starlings

I saw a sad sight today during my lunchtime jog—a dead grackle. Or was it a starling? I'll get to that in a minute. I was making my way down to the trail along the Charles River when I saw what I thought was an injured bird in the middle of the road. It was just sitting there and I figured it was just stunned or maybe had an injured wing. The bird probably didn't have much of a chance, but the least I could move it out of the road. As I got closer to the bird I saw it had its mouth open and then I realized the gruesome truth—it was dead and was frozen in that position. I just got shivers thinking about it. The poor thing. Anyway, so it got me to thinking 'What is the difference between grackles and starlings?' I use the two interchangeably and haven't really made an effort to sort it out. Until now. I like to use All About Birds from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology as an online resource. The site is comprehensive and easy to use. (I also really like the 'Cool ...

Using Birds to Control Tomato Hornworms

Here's a lovely macro shot of a tomato hornworm caterpillar taking a little break from gorging himself on my tomatoes. Ever seen one before? They're huge and pretty startling to come across when you're pruning your tomato plants. They blend right in, until you accidentally touch one- hopefully not with the horned end! This picture was taken near the end of the season so I wasn't SO upset, but I definitely want to prevent hornworms for next season. I started doing some research on how to get rid of tomato hornworms and the good news is you don't need to use insecticides or crazy home remedies- birds will do the work for you! This great website I found- the Yardener has a whole section about insect pests in the vegetable garden. According to the site, feeding birds year-round will help you control the tomato hornworm problem in your garden. For bird lovers, this shouldn't be a chore at all. Just keep your feeders full with desirable seed like black-oil sunflower s...

Large-billed Crow pictures from Japan

These large-billed crow pictures come courtesy of my work colleague Phil who lives in Japan. He told me he had some great Japanese crow pictures, and the first thing I noticed about the bird was the large bill. I started doing some research to come up with the correct crow name. First I thought it was a carrion crow since those are a common type of Japanese crow, but the bill wasn't big enough. Then I found pictures of the large-billed crow and those were a match! Duh- "large bill"- it couldn't have been any simpler. These crows are also called jungle crows, but most of the birding sites call them large-billed crows. Phil said they can get really big, which I believe since American crows are huge sometimes. I have vivid memories of standing my in my parents Cape Cod kitchen doing dishes and getting spooked by something huge in my periphery on the deck. All it ever was was a giant crow, but really they can be scary when they get so big! Here are some interesting thing...